JM International lädt junge talentierte Jazzmusikerinnen und -musiker im Alter zwischen 18 und 26 ein, sich bei der 2022er Ausgabe des JM Jazz World Orchestra zu bewerben.
The JM Jazz World Orchestra is the world’s premier international youth jazz orchestra, comprised of 21 talented jazz musicians, selected through a global open audition by an international jury. The band works with some of the planet’s finest conductors, players and composers and tours annually, appearing at prestigious European venues and jazz festivals.
We are looking for highly talented musicians between the ages of 18 and 26, playing saxophone, trombone, trumpet, horn, tuba, guitar, bass, drums, percussion, piano and vocals, and if you improvise, all other instruments are welcome. It is essential that you read sheet music, but the most important thing is your love for jazz!
The JMJWO is a unique opportunity to play with other first-class, young jazz musicians from around the world and to learn from some of the planet’s most accomplished jazz virtuosos who direct, mentor and perform alongside the orchestra. On top of maintaining the highest standards of musicianship, the orchestra offers an invaluable intercultural learning experience and a taste of life as an internationally touring musician.
MEET OUR ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
We are pleased to announce that US trombonist and composer/arranger Luis Bonilla will return for the 2022 edition, continuing his outstanding work as Artistic Director. Luis Bonilla is a US-Costa Rican trombonist, composer, arranger and educator. Bonilla’s success as a sideman with such greats as McCoy Tyner, Dizzy Gillespie, Lester Bowie, Tom Harrell, Freddie Hubbard, Astrud Gilberto, Willie Colon and Toshiko Akiyoshi attests not only to the skill and variety of Bonilla’s talent but also to a mind restlessly committed to exploring some of the most complex and demanding music of our time. Bonilla has taught at some of the most prestigious music faculties in the US and Europe and is a respected touring musician with international pop artists like Tony Bennett, Alejandro Sanz, Diana Ross, Marc Anthony, La India, Mary J. Blige and, currently, Phil Collins on his European and Latin American tours.
The 2022 session will take place in July in the mystical Istrian village of Groznjan, Croatia followed by a tour through Croatia, Italy and Slovenia. Groznjan offers the perfect setting to rehearse, hang and soak up the musical history that lives in the stone in the village. More info about when the session will be held will be released in early 2022. The JM Jazz World session begins with a week of rehearsals, followed by a 7-10 day international concert/festival tour.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should apply online via the following form by no later than March 31 24:00 CET:
Candidates should be prepared to provide the following info:
- Your Full CV
(It must contain information about faculty of music, academy and school of music, experience acquired as a jazz musician).
- Links to videos with you performing at least 2 different pieces: a theme and an improvisation. The candidates need to be clearly heard, with an important soloist part.
- A written recommendation from a music teacher or similar.
- A signed statement from either your parents, yourself, university, school or a JMI National Member or Associate Section, stating that your travel costs to and from the tour will be covered.
- A copy of your passport
A professional international jury will select the best candidates. The candidates who make it through the first selection may be asked to present additional material.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
The jury will select up to 25 musicians to form the JM Jazz World Orchestra 2022 as well as a reserve shortlist of musicians, who may join the project in the case of cancellations. All candidates will be notified about the results by the end of April.
- During your stay, all accommodation and material needs are provided by JM International. Transportation to and from the session Groznjan must be covered by the participant but may be sponsored by your national JM member organisation (www.jmi.net/members) or other local organisations or schools.
- Musicians must take care of their own visas and all other official requirements, as well as ensure they have sufficient pocket money for their private expenses.
- If invitation letters are required please contact JM International (firstname.lastname@example.org) once selected.
- You must have a good comprehension of English as all workshops will be in English. Spanish is welcome too.
- Selected musicians must insure their own instrument(s), travel and health.
- All musicians are expected to be fully vaccinated and present relevant documentation in order to participate in the JM Jazz World Orchestra 2022.